Got company? Need info?
If your company is traded on a U.S. stock exchange, there are many sources of information
For Public Companies:
Company web site - Look for "investor relations" section to read the Annual Report to Shareholders and SEC filings (10-K).
Public company databases - Find financial information in Mergent Online and LexisNexis Academic (databases). Remember to use the correct parent company name (e.g. Pepsico not Pepsi).
News - Find articles about products, strategy, brand management, and exectuves. Use the "Search Everything" box and Business Source Premier. and other
Company histories & corporate culture - Use books, encyclopedias & web sites.
For Private Companies:
PrivCo - financial and business data, including strategy, due diligence data, competitive intelligence, news and more. Include searching in news sources and online databases such as Business Source Premier from the Business Subject Page.
Types of company information
- Company strategy (Use annual reports and company history)
- Financial performance and ratios (Use public company databases)
- Stock prices and stock market (Use public company databases)
- Comparison of companies within an industry (Use competitor research and directories)
- Company histories give insight into product development and corporate culture.