New Search Interface and Catalog Coming to CSU Chico in July 2017
For the past several years, the CSU has worked to combine the 23 campuses physical and shared electronic holdings into one catalog and search interface, the Unified Library Management System (ULMS). This system is in the final stages of completion and will be going live at Chico in July.
- The new system vendor is ExLibris, we are using two products from this company, Alma for internal library management and OneSearch for the public search interface.
- Alma allows the CSU to share content behind the scenes, reducing duplication across the system.
- Primo allows users to search Chico State content as well as physical collections at other CSU libraries.
- The new systems will be live July 2017.
How does this affect students and faculty?
- New interfaces for the search box on the library homepage and the catalog starting July 2017. Training will be scheduled in August for faculty to learn the new interface.
- Books and articles will be found in the same interface.
- While we are not discontinuing any EBSCO databases, we are discontinuing the Ebsco discovery layer that faculty are used to.
- Any articles saved into folders in the EBSCO discovery layer will not be retained. It is therefore recommended that anyone with citations in EBSCO print out their citations prior to June 2017 in order to relocate those articles in the new system. More information can be found at http://libguides.csuchico.edu/ULMS/Ebsco.
- Links to articles in BBLearn may be broken if they were linked to our EBSCO discovery layer.
- We are also unifying our circulation policies. The Council of Library Deans agreed to have the same checkout period for faculty, staff, and students at their home institutions:
- Faculty and staff: checkout of Meriam Library main collection books is 1 year. The due date will be 1 year from the date of checkout.
- Students: Meriam Library Main Collection books, 8 week checkout with one automatic 8 week renewal. (16 week total checkout)
Informational sessions will be held for faculty in August. If you would like an overview for faculty regarding these changes prior to August, please contact Jodi Shepherd. An informational guide has been set up for this project http://libguides.csuchico.edu/ULMS and will display the new interface when it is available.
Project Manager for the ULMS at Chico
Head of Acquisitions, Collection Development, and Evaluation