Government resources to search for data and statistics.
Specific Criminal Justice statistics and data from government sources.
California Data and Resources
Find statistice specific to California. Use Portal Login off campus.
Each of these databases provide scholarly information regarding policing, law enforcement, criminal justice and other related topics. If available, be sure to select the "peer reviewed" option when searching.
Indexes, abstracts, and provides some full text of journals in all sub-disciplines of sociology. Also includes full text for 545 books and monographs, and full text for 6,601 conference papers.
This multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,500 journals, including more than 3,700 peer-reviewed titles. PDF backfiles to 1975 for some journals, and searchable cited references for many more. An EBSCO Database.
Sociological Abstracts (Proquest)
Search for scholarly articles in political science and criminal justice.
Sage Journals Online
Sage Journals is a collection of ~480 journals including political science and criminal justice topics.
A not-for-profit organization with a dual mission to create and maintain a trusted archive of important scholarly journals. Covers both political and criminal justice topics. Most recent may not be availble.
When searching databases, statistics, or other data driven website content, remember:
- Databases search for exactly what you type. Use keywords, not complete thoughts.
- Search: polic* and "forensic evidence"
- Asterisks * search all variations of the keyword: police, policing, policed
- Quotes "" keep the keywords together.
- Use alternative terms:
- From the above example, alternatives could include:
- "crime scene*" and evidence
- "crime scene*" and evidence and police
- Instead of using AND to add terms, also use OR to make a more robust search.
- OR is used for alternative terms in the same search.
- "crime scene" and evidence OR procedure and police
These databases provide the full text of court cases, codes, and laws.
- Search specific names of cases (example: People v. Moberly);
- Search case citation (ex: 176 Cal.App.4th 1191)
- Search topic/subject and select source
Over 15,000 full-text news, business, and legal publications. Includes news coverage in national and regional newspapers, wire services, broadcast transcripts, international news, and non-English language sources; detailed company information and financial performance measures; and access to Shepard's Citations service for federal and state court cases.
The library also has books. Search the catalog for keywords to find books. Policing/Criminal Justice books will generally be in the HV6000-9000 range.
meriam library | csu, chico